Tuesday 18 February 2014

Conical cooling circuits done

Today I've installed the recirc lines and pumps (pumps from Mark @ Home Brew Builder) for the coolant chilling loops for the conicals. I gave them a quick dry test and all's good though I need to tidy up the electrical feeds and do a wet test next. The new polycarbonate lid arrived for the 60ltr conical earlier so once I've drilled the holes for the retaining bolts and chiller feeds I can do a 'wet test' on both conical coolant circuits. I also tested the 3 pids in the brewery for accuracy by comparing them to one which had been calibrated in an ice bath and was pleased to see all 3 read 9.5 deg c, air temp. I also tested the STC1000's in the fermenting cupboards and ones out by a few degrees, I'll adjust that tomorrow. I suspect condensation on the pump heads and exposed elbows might be an issue in summer but a rag or 2 around the base should mop up any drips, though it would be ideal for it all to be insulated from the environment.