Thursday 15 August 2013

A friend comes to the rescue

Well, it's been a while. Further to my post regards a leak in one of my conical chilling loops as detailed below I decided to test the system. I used a John Guest 3/8th bulkhead through the polycarbonate lid of my conical and on the inside was pushed my 1/2" chiller feeds and on the outside the cooling lines. As there was no visible leak I assumed the liquid had run into the fv, mainly because the volume had increased in the conical and I'd lost coolant. I decided the remove the chillers from the lid complete with bulk head, but replacing the coolant lines with lines to a air compressor. I then sat the chillers in a bucket of water and tested them under pressure and hey presto, one leaked! I'm not prepared to take the risk of that happening again, especially with 6 hours per brew so something had to be done. I've decided to ask a friend to silver solder each of the chiller legs into a stainless steel bulkhead so this scenario can never happen again, and they're now ready for use...yay. just a case of finding some time to brew now!